It’s New Years Eve and I’m in a hotel in London with the love of my life. 2016 is almost over; in a few hours we’ll be kissing at midnight and dancing, drunk on both alcohol and excitement about what the next year has to bring. Considering this, I thought it would be appropriate to reflect back on the year.
- Donald Trump. Need I say more?
- Brexit: not as disastrous as it could be but we have yet to see the actual fallout.
- ISIS/terrorism: ISIS and other terrorists claim to he Muslim, but killing innocent people in the name of God is the least Islamic thing you could do. Don’t think for one second these assholes are actual Muslims.
- The government trying to censor porn. Seriously, why? Why is female ejaculation such a taboo? It’s a natural thing. And if it’s legal and the porn is made consensually, what’s the problem?
- Sexism, the patriarchy and misogyny. All are still alive and kicking.
- Transphobia, homophobia, LGBTQ*+-phobia. This has got to stop.
- People are still making jokes at the expense of people with disabilities. It’s the 21st century, STOP.
- I have an amazing boyfriend and I’m in love. I was so cynical about love before him. He’s a good friend I’ve known for years and the finest man I have ever had the privilege of being in a relationship with.
- I’ve got a stable, rewarding job.
- Writing a book about anorexia in order to help other people who may be suffering, with a particular focus on mental health in the BAME community.
- My family are all happy and healthy, which is all you can really wish for.
- One of my dear friends moved from The Netherlands to London so we were able to finally meet in person after years of chatting online. So grateful for her friendship and some incredible days out!
- Spending time with my best friend, who never fails to make me smile (and get me drunk). Buying identical skirts in Camden, because we have brilliant swag. Love you.
- Seeing my other best friend happy to be back in Chile. I miss him dearly but I’m super jealous of all of the awesome weather he’s enjoying!
All in all, 2016 has been awful but personally, I have been blessed by some incredible events in my life. I can’t really complain. I’m in love and life finally looks good. It’s the first time in years that I genuinely feel excited about the new year and what it may bring. I hope you all have a great NYE and NYD! I hope 2017 is a fantastic year for you and those you love.